2014 Arts Recognition Awards
Congratulations to the 2014 Contra Costa County Arts Recognition recipients, acclaimed painter, Sylvia Fein, of Martinez; talented landscape architect and painter, Joel Summerhill, of Antioch, and renowned choral director, Silvester Henderson, chair of the Music Department at Los Medanos College in Pittsburg.
The Arts & Culture Commission received numerous strong nominations from a wonderful range of Contra Costa artists and contributors to the arts. We congratulate all. They include: Sharon Redman and the Vagabond Players, Karina Furhman, RYSE youth center artists, Marcia Harmon, Tom Matousek, and the Los Medanos College Gospel Choir.
The 2014 recipients will be honored at a Board of Supervisors meeting on Tuesday, October 21 at 9 a.m., in the Board Chamber, at 651 Pine Street, Martinez. A small reception will follow.
See list of past honorees. (Also on the left.)
2013 Awardee, James Phillip Wright, Architect, Orinda
A nominee must be or have been involved with arts and culture, with contributions and/or work having a significant impact in Contra Costa County and beyond. Individuals nominated in previous years who were not selected may be nominated again.
There are no award categories. An individual, business or organization may be nominated for work or contributions in any discipline or combinations of efforts. Examples include Performing Arts, Visual Arts, Literary Arts, Digital Arts, Arts Administration, Arts Education, Volunteer Support, Art/Cultural Philanthropy, etc.
Nominees can include individuals from non-profit or for-profit organizations who show exceptional leadership, vision and commitment to the growth and support of arts and culture; organizations or individuals who show continuous and/or significant financial or in-kind support to arts/culture-related organizations; or individuals that help keep Contra Costa arts and/or culture alive.
Stay Tuned for 2015! Nominations can be submitted in a number of ways:
- Online nomination form.
- PDF nomination form, complete, and either scan and return via email or print and mail in to the above address.
- Email (Staff@ac5.cccounty.us) Make sure you provide all of the necessary information listed in the form.
- We’re happy to mail you a hard copy application if you prefer. Please email your name and address.
2013 Awardee, Los Cenzontles, Mexican Arts Center, San Pablo
Supporting documentation guidelines
You may submit:
- Up to four (4) supporting documents (brochures, photos, news articles, etc.) that depict a nominee’s work and symbolizes the positive influence the nominee has had in fostering arts and/or culture in Contra Costa County.
- Evidence of the nominee’s leadership, vision, and commitment in advancing the arts and/or culture in Contra Costa County.
- Description of a nominee’s development of any groundbreaking project(s) within the arts and/or cultural development.
- Please note: The size of all emailed attachments combined must be less that 8 MB or sent as a compressed .zip file.