Home Equity Preservation Alliance (HEPA) is hosted by the City of Richmond and provides a single point of reference and up-to-date information for residents throughout Contra Costa County. HEPA is a collaboration of Community Housing Development Corp. of North Richmond, Housing Rights, Inc., Pacific Community Services, Inc., Bay Area Legal Aid, and Housing & Economic Rights Advocates. It gives information on what to do when you have trouble making mortgage payments, free foreclosure seminars and workshops, what happens when a mortgage payment is late, provides a brief explanation of how lenders react to late payments, and list of definitions of words you may hear as you address your mortgage payment challenges.
- Homeowners with loans owned or guaranteed by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac
can receive information about refinancing into more affordable monthly
payments. The U.S. Department of the Treasury's Home Affordable Modification Program
helps homeowners stay in their homes by preventing avoidable
foreclosures. The website provides tools for eligibility for refinancing
and home modification, helps locate a HUD approved housing counselor,
and related tools.
- Catholic Charities of the East Bay's Concord Family Service Center
provides a wide range of services including counseling, legal
immigration assistance, counseling for homeowners facing foreclosure,
emergency rental assistance, case management for residents of the
Monument Corridor, housing advocacy for people with HIV/AIDS, and
services for children who are at risk of entering foster care.
- The Community Housing Development Corporation (CHDC) – Post-Purchased Homeownership Program
provides assistance to homeowners having trouble paying their mortgages
due to loss of a job, divorce, illness or other reasons. CHDC works in
partnership with several agencies helping homeowners who may have fallen
victim to predatory lending or who entered the market with a teaser
adjustable interest rate that has become unaffordable. Program covers
delinquency and foreclosure counseling, refinance counseling, deed
restriction counseling, home maintenance workshops, home maintenance
referrals, emergency preparedness workshops, anti-predatory lending
workshops, reversed mortgage counseling referrals, loan document review
tax and insurance counseling and referral. Workshops are in English and
- Money Management International, Consumer Credit Counseling of the East Bay
provides professional personal credit counseling, debt management
services, housing advising services including foreclosure prevention
counseling, financial education services, credit report analysis,
bankruptcy counseling and online money management counseling.
- Neighborhood Housing Services of the East Bay provides comprehensive housing counseling for people in Contra Costa County and Alameda County seeking to purchase or avoid foreclosure. Offers workshops for first- time home buyers, foreclosure prevention, and other housing issues; workshops are listed on the website. The agency is a HUD certified counseling agency.
This resource list is provided as a convenience to the public and does not constitute all resources that may be available in the community. Contra Costa County Information and Assistance makes no guarantees or recommendations regarding individual organizations or the resources they provide.