Mary Nejedly Piepho
The Honorable Mary Nejedly Piepho is serving in her second, four-year term on the Contra Costa County Board of Supervisors. As the District III Supervisor, she represents the largest of the five districts, covering Antioch, Bethel Island, Brentwood, Byron, Discovery Bay, Knightsen, and Oakley in East Contra Costa County and Blackhawk, Diablo and Tassajara Valley in the Southern portions of the County.
She served as Chair of the Board in 2007 and this year is the chair of the Internal Operations Committee and Airport Subcommittee. She also serves on various other committees such as the Transportation, Water & Infrastructure Committee, Central Contra Costa Solid Waste Authority, LAFCO and Delta Protection Commission.
Supervisor Piepho's policy priorities include:
- preservation and revitalization of the county's agricultural core
- responsible stewardship of natural resources such as water
- public safety, both police and fire, as a funding priority
- maintenance and expansion of our transportation infrastructure
- effective delivery of county services in fiscal prudent manner
Supervisor Piepho is committed to working with local, state and federal leaders to find a sustainable solution that will not compromise the long term viability of the Delta. She has been appointed by her fellow Board Members as well as the Delta Counties delegation, to serve as a lead advocate on Delta Water issues particularly as it relates to additional water exports to points south. As a water-front resident, who uses the Delta for both recreation and drinking water, she believes we must develop solutions that protect both the ecosystem and water quality.
Prior to her election as a County Supervisor, Mrs. Piepho was an elected member of the Byron Union School District and also served as:
- President of the Los Medanos Community College Foundation
- President of the Contra Costa Community College District Bond
- Member of the Highway 4 Safety Task Force
- Director on the Discovery Bay Chamber of Commerce
- Discovery Bay Parent-Teacher Association
- Contra Costa County Special District Representative
Supervisor Piepho is a life-long resident of Contra Costa County and is the daughter of the late State Senator John A. Nejedly. She lives on the Delta in Discovery Bay with her husband, David a firefighter for Alameda County, and daughter, Mariah, who attends public school.