Community Development Department
Pleasant Hill BART
Station Design Charrette
|February 26, 2001 Design Charrette Update|
To all: area residents, commuters, business owners, employees, neighborhood and community leaders (and anyone interested in this process!) Thank you so much for all of the great input we have received to date. You might be surprised to know that more than 300 people have participated in the Charrette so far! We feel very lucky to be working in a community where so many people care so deeply about the area.
Because things have been changing so much and plans for the Pleasant Hill BART Station Area are continuously evolving, we thought you might appreciate an update... So here are some of the main things we've been working on:
1) Did you notice the traffic count hoses on the roads in the area today? This is in immediate response to your concerns about the need for fresh traffic data. We will be counting cars all week to get an accurate traffic count for the area, and we will use this data for our analysis that will occur after the Charrette. The results will be presented at the follow-up meeting in April.
2) To respond to the comments we have received asking for more housing on the site, we are working to increase the number of residential units in our plans.
3) We are working to accommodate a portion of the Iron Horse Trail temporary parking spaces on-site in our plans, in an effort to relive the need for the Swim Club to accommodate those parking spaces.
4) We are working to create a green connection from the trail to the station (including ideas for a new "trailhead" for the Iron Horse Trail).
5) We are working on creating a new station square that will make the station itself part of a great place.
We are excited about the ways that the plans are beginning to come together. We will be continuing to revise and analyze them, incorporating your ideas, over the next two days, before we present them to you on Tuesday night. (The public workshop will be held 6:30 - 9:00 PM at the Embassy Suites in the Contra Costa Ballroom --- we hope to see you there!)
Thanks again for your interest and involvement. We hope to see you soon!