The mission of the Planning and Research Unit is to directly support the Sheriff and the Undersheriff in coordination and completion of essential special projects or assignments. The Unit assists in affairs requiring substantial pre-planning or future forecasting of sensitive and critical issues that may significantly impact or involve the Office of the Sheriff.
- Development, tracking and implementation of the Sheriff's Strategic Plan
- Research and development for management training alternatives designed to enhance leadership among command staff
- Research and development of an improved employee performance appraisal system
- Studying the feasibility of seeking a law enforcement national certification through the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (C.A.L.E.A.) or similar programs
- Represent the Office of the Sheriff through participation in several county level community-based interest programs
- Interact with numerous state and county law enforcement communities or programs
- Act as the legislative analyst for the Office of the Sheriff by reviewing, tracking and writing letters of endorsement or opposition concerning proposed legislation