The number one cause of flood deaths is drowning, and the second leading cause of death during a flood is electrocution.
- In standing water, make sure the ground in front of you has not eroded away.
- Do not drive around road barriers, water only two feet deep can carry your car away.
- Electrical currents can travel through water, stay away from power lins and wires.
- Report downed power lines to Pacific Gas and Electric, or police service provider.
- Some appliances keep electrical charges even after they have been unplugged.
- Do not use appliances or motors that have gotten wet.