All dogs over four months of age must be licensed. Licenses must be obtained within 30 days after acquiring a dog over four months of age to avoid a late fee.
Applying for a License
If you do not wish to purchase a license online, you can either purchase one by mail or in person at either of our shelter locations. To apply by mail:
- Print out the license application form
- Complete the owner information section
- Complete the animal information section
- Attach rabies certificate
- Attach Spay/Neuter certificate for discount for altered pets
- Enclose a check or money order for the appropriate fee
- Mail to Contra Costa Animal Services Department, P.O. Box 2619, Martinez, CA 94553, or drop off at the Martinez or Pinole shelter.
Required Rabies Vaccination
A rabies vaccination is required before a pet can be licensed (Ordinance #80-97, Section 416-6.002
). Licenses are not valid until a current rabies certificate is submitted.
Certificates may be submitted by fax to (925) 335-8311, by email, or by U.S. mail to the address noted above.
Spay & Neuter Discount
In order to obtain the spay/neuter discount, proof of sterilization must be on file with Contra Costa Animal Services.