In order to prevent violence, the Domestic Violence Unit focuses on several key factors:
- We encourage early intervention at the misdemeanor level in order to prevent the escalation of violence.
- We shift the focus from victim responsibility to offender accountability, which includes a "no drop" policy on all felony and most misdemeanor cases.
- We continue to develop and promote a mulit-disciplinary, inter-agency approach to domestic violence.
- We make viction safety and safety planning a major priority through advocacy groups.
- We know that domestic violence is a learned behavior, so we actively try to address whether there are children present in hopes that we can end the "cycle" of violence within the family unit.