Medi-Cal is a program that provides health coverage for children, parents with deprived children, pregnant women, aged individuals and those who are blind or disabled according to Social Security rules. Eligibility for Medi-Cal is based on a number of factors:
- Families with deprived children have a parent who is absent, incapacitated, unemployed or deceased.
- Your income cannot make you ineligible for Medi-Cal but you may have a share of cost. A share of cost is an amount that you have to pay of your medical expenses before Medi-Cal pays for those expenses. There are Medi-Cal Programs that may eliminate your share of cost. Your worker will evaluate you for these programs.
- Real and personal property that you have must be within program limits, but the home that you live in is exempt.
- Individuals without satisfactory immigration status may qualify for Medi-Cal coverage limited to emergency and pregnancy related services.
- Individuals with one of the following specific health care needs may qualify for a special Medi-Cal Program: Dialysis, Tuberculosis services, TPN (intravenous, nutrition) services, certain services for minors and nursing facility coverage.
You may apply for Medi-Cal by calling 1-800-709-8348. The application process can be completed by mail. If you need more information or already have Medi-Cal and need to talk to a worker, you may call 1-866-663-3225.